Introductions and Greetings (in person)
Introductions often include these steps:
Greeting - Introduction - Response to greeting
- Hello - Let me introduce myself, my name's ...
- Pleased to meet you. I'm ...
- Good morning/Good afternoon - My name's ...
- Nice to meet you. Mine's ...
- How do you do? - I'm ...
- Nice to meet you. I'm ...
Introducing someone else
Request for information - Introduction - Response
- Some introductions are more formal than others. The use of the first names indicates informality.
- In English-speaking countries, people usually shake hands on first meeting.
It is very common to present yourself in terms of your job. The job defines the person. This is usually the pattern:
Question / Comment - Response - Comment / Question
What do you do for a living?
I'm in fashion
Oh, that's interesting!