a) With "by"
We use "by" in a number of different ways:
1. To say how we do something.
- To send something by post
- To do something by hand
- To pay by credit card (N.B. in cash)
2. To say how somebody travels.
- by car / by train / by bus, etc. (N.B. on foot)
3. With the use of the passive.
- The painting was painted by Goya
- A Mid Summer Night's dream was written by Shakespeare
4. Expressions with "by":
By accident / By all means / By chance / By hand / By mistake / By sight / By surprise / By yourself
b) With "in"
Here is a list of prepositional phrases with "in". Please learn them.
In all / In common / In danger / In debt / In difficulties / In general / In a hurry / In other words / In particular / In private / In public / In secret / In tears
c) With "on" and "out of"
Here is a list of prepositional phrases with "on" and "out of". Learn them!
On business / On duty / On the one hand ... on the other hand / On purpose / On the telephone / On time / On the whole / Out of date / Out of order / Out of reach / Out of time / Out of work