Position of the phrasal verb
1. Usually the phrasal verbs is not separated.
- The car broke down on the motorway
- In September I took up French
- We grew up on a farm
2. If the phrasal verb has an object. There are two possible positions for the object:
- I turned on the light
- I turned the light on
- If the object is a pronoun (him/her/me/it/etc) only one position is possible:
in between the verb + preposition.
- I turned it on
- Don't throw away the jumper / Don't throw the jumper away
- Can you fill in this sheet? / Can you fill this sheet in?