1. You use "the" with singular nouns and when the person you are talking to knows the thing or person you are talking about:
- I spoke to the Queen yesterday (the Queen of England)I left the food inthe fridge (the fridge in my house)I bought two skirts and a watch. Theskirts were expensive (the skirts I bought)
- Have you washed the glasses? (the glasses we have been using)
2. You use "the" when there is only one of something:
- Madrid is the capital of Spain
- The earth goes round the sun
3. You use "the" with a singular noun when you want to make general statement.
- The book is very interesting
4. However, you do not use "the" with plural nouns to make a general statement.
The sky / The sea / The ground / The country / The environment / The cinema / The theatre
We do NOT say:
The breakfast / The lunch / The dinner
- What did you have for breakfast?